Monday 31 December 2007

Marathon 2008

As much as for my own inspiration and a record of progress, I've decided to attempt to "blog" my progress towards London Marathon 2008 (13th April, thanks for asking). I got a place last year through the ballot but got ill three weeks before. I went from 20 milers to not completing 5 miles within 7 days. Some virus kicking around which could stay with me a year or two apparently. Anyway, I withdrew on health grounds so got a carry forward to 2008.

The running's been up and down (mostly down) since then and I'm nowhere near where I want or should be from previous years (3:39 in 2003 and 3:28 in 2004 - still looking for the sub 3:20 that I'm sure was once in me!). However I'll give it a go and see where the training takes me. Hopefully not back to illness.

I'm going to vary the regime this year and concentrate a bit more on quantity rather than quality. I'm not sure two effort sessions every week will do my current health too much good, although I want to avoid becoming a total plodder at one pace. I'll try a recommended "Smart Coach" schedule from Runner's World which has one decent tempo or speed session per week, but a number of medium long runs as well (e.g. two or three 10 milers as well as the long Sunday run).

So hopefully I'll keep this up to date most days along with my own training diary and see where it gets me - wish me luck

Draft schedule added to the bottom of the page

No comments: